Udacity provides tech courses focused on teaching practical and employable skills as well as providing comprehensive career help. Think of it as a one-stop shop to get you into the job you want.
There are now over 100,000 Udacity graduates worldwide, helped on their path by over 200 course creators.
Courses or "Nanodegree programs" are spread across seven schools:
- Data Science
- Artificial Intelligence
- Autonomous Systems
- Cloud Computing
There are now around 60 courses including many cutting-edge subjects. I have chosen a few here to review in detail but please check out the full list of Udacity courses.
Introduction to Programming
Course objectives and benefits include:
- Think & solve problems like a programmer
- Build a complete foundation for web development
- Establish good habits & avoid “newbie” mistakes
- Get help from qualified mentors when you need it 24/7
- Join a thriving private student community
- Build real, working projects (and get real feedback)
The course is spread over 5 modules:
- Introduction to HTML & The World Wide Web
- Styling Web Content with CSS
- Build Your First Program with Python
- Prepare For Your Ideal Coding Career
This course covers a 4-month term at $359/month but Udacity typically run promotions with 1 month free and/or a discount if you sign up for the full term, and of course you get a certification on completion.
I am a bit of an SQL geek and have often noticed that otherwise excellent programmers are very weak when it comes to knowledge of SQL. So if you work with relational databases in any capacity it is worth ensuring you have at least a working level of competence in SQL as provided by this course.
This course typically takes 2 months to complete if you study for 10 hours/week.
Front End Web Developer
This course covers:
- CSS & Website Layout
- Web APIs and Asynchronous Applications
- Build Tools, Webpack, and Service Worker
The course typically takes 4 months to complete at 5-10 hours/week.
Data Structures and Algorithms
This is the classic Computer Science subject at the heart of any development project, and also the favorite of interviewers everywhere!
If you have a working knowledge of Python and know a bit of algebra then this is a good next step on your learning path.
The course takes around 4 months to complete and consists of 4 modules:
- Data Structures
- Basic Algorithms
- Advanced Algorithms
Programming for Data Science with Python
This is it, the hot topic of our age. The course consists of 3 modules which overall will take around 3 months to complete. The modules are:
- Introduction to SQL & Relational Data
- From Zero to Scripting with Python
- Manage Your Code with Git & Version Control
AI Programming with Python
AI, or artificial intelligence, has been around since the 1950s but has only really taken off in recent years. It is now, like data science, a hot topic everyone is keen to get into.
This course covers the essential foundations of AI: the programming tools:
- Linear algebra
and the key techniques of neural networks:
- Gradient descent
The course takes around 3 months to complete and consists of 5 modules:
- Introduction to Python
- Jupyter Notebooks, NumPy, Anaconda, pandas, and Matplotlib
- Linear Algebra Essentials
- Calculus Essentials
- Neural Networks
Applying to Jobs
I mentioned that Udacity also provide resources for progressing your career, perhaps the most difficult part of your journey through the tech industry.
I'll therefore finish off with a look at two of these, the first being Applying to Jobs. There are actually three courses in this category...
- Strengthen Your LinkedIn Network & Brand
- Refresh your Resume
- Craft your Cover Letter
...and they are all free!
There are no less than 10 courses in the Interviewing category, again all completely free.
- Product Manager Interview Preparation
- Machine Learning Interview Preparation
- Data Structures and Algorithms in Swift
- IOS Interview Prep
- Android Interview Prep
- Front-End Interview Prep
- VR Interview Prep
- Full-Stack Interview Prep
- Intro to Data Structures and Algorithms
- Data Science Interview Prep
I have reviewed a small selection of the courses Udacity provide based on what I believe will be of most interest to readers of this site.
However, there are around 60 in total including subjects such as Blockchain, Computer Vision and Flying Car!